AltaSea - Port of Los Angeles Berth 60
Designed as part of a public-private partnership redeveloping 35 acres of land at the Port of Los Angeles, this project is a unique ocean-based campus where science, business and education come together to generate innovative solutions to global sustainability issues. A state of the art research facility will provide opportunities for the world's leading scientists to better understand the ocean, a commercial hub will support new and existing businesses that commercialize scientific breakthroughs and emerging technologies to create ocean-related products and services, and provide an opportunity for education and outreach programs dedicated to igniting interest in and understanding the importance of the ocean to humanity.
Among its many state-of-the-art features, the proposed facility will include:
• A soaring glass interpretative center that serves as the public’s educational hub.
• Expansive outdoor recreational space consisting of a public harbor promenade, café and verdant gardens.
• Circulating seawater and marine life support systems throughout the facility.
• Flexible and expandable research, development, analysis and teaching laboratories for scientists and researchers, located directly on the harbor to provide water access for marine science programs.
• More than 400,000 square feet of open-plan office space for ocean based businesses and entrepreneurs.
• 4,100 linear feet of waterfront dock and wharf space for research vessels with direct harbor and ocean access.