Sustainable Building Consulting
David Hertz FAIA Architects, Inc., and S.E.A., the Studio of Environmental Architecture, builds on 25 years as an acknowledged leader in the practice of sustainable architecture. Recently commended as a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, David is an award-winning architect, educator and early pioneer in environmental Architecture and green building. Our Company’s origins are rooted in a firm belief in environmental responsibility. In 1983, David developed Syndecrete®, one of the first sustainable building materials, which was used in the first LEED Platinum commercial building and the first LEED Platinum residential building in the U.S. David is a founding member of the USGBC U.S. Green Building Council and a LEED accredited professional. David’s work has been widely published and exhibited worldwide for its innovative and forward thinking approach to sustainable architecture and design.
S.E.A.’s role as consultant builds upon experience and success with it’s own green building projects and offers solutions to improve the environmental performance through cost effective and aesthetically pleasing solutions that balance the built environment with the natural environment. We accomplish this by providing our clients with realistic programs, innovative thinking and strategies presented as holistic, integrated systems. Sustainable buildings are equated with healthy buildings, resulting in greater occupant satisfaction, reduced employee absenteeism, greater resale value and increasingly lucrative lease contracts. A key to project success is to ensure that all parties understand life cycle costs as well as first costs. In a departure from many traditional economic models, sustainable design/building sees the greatest return on investment over the lifetime of the building or project.
David Hertz was appointed to the City of Santa Monica’s Task Force on the Environment and consulted on the Cities green building ordinances. David has been teaching at UCLA for the last 15 years on Ecology and Architecture.
S.E.A. encourages the adaptive reuse of existing buildings and materials, is a proponent of green field preservation, and actively participates in product and system research and development, as can be experienced in our own LEED Platinum certified office building. We excel at providing innovative solutions to design and building issues that elevate the whole of a project, from a preserved natural environment with less developmental impact, to providing a healthier, more natural built environment.
Whether the goal is as simple as optimizing the healthy and energy efficient aspects of your project, or reaching to achieve certification under a Green Rating Program such as the US Green Building Council’s LEED program, or California’s Build-It-Green, S.E.A. is ready and qualified to guide your project’s sustainable development.
Our scope of consulting services offered and areas of specialization include:
- Site planning and project orientation review. Solar orientation and shading.
- Natural ventilation strategies incorporating both passive and active systems.
- Climatic study and analysis relevant to project design, energy systems and building type using a bio regional and climatic responsive strategy.
- Product research and development, with a specialization in concrete and high volume Fly ash mix designs and sustainable materials with recycled content.
- Expertise in sustainably harvested wood including lesser known species, reclaimed lumber / renewable materials and bio composites.
- Alternative energy systems research, modeling and implementation including PV photovoltaic and small scale wind and hydroelectric turbines.
- Hydronic solar radiant systems integration for thermal solar heating systems.
- Water conservation strategies and systems implementation.
- Storm water mitigation measures including bio-swales, pervious concrete and rainwater capture-reuse systems for sub surface irrigation.
- Green roof, vegetative “living walls” and green machine integration.
- Planning/building code policy expertise and advisory experience.
- Project team management, guidance and integration.
- Feasibility studies based on project requirements and client priorities.
- Green building guidelines, specifications, and procedures.
- Indoor air quality and Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) evaluation and prevention.
- Cost benefit and payback analysis including Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and embodied energy analysis.
- Ford Motor Co.
- Ryan Seacrest and Civic Entertainment
- City of Santa Monica
- Vanity Fair
- Paramount Pictures